Monday, October 19, 2009

Lower Huron CX

Well, today is my first blog entry, so I might as well start it off on a good note. Yesterday was the fourth race in the Tailwind CX series for the state of Michigan, and I was racing C-Men 39 & under. I was questioned at the line if I was in the 39-under category, and the questioning fellow received a funny look from yours truly. Apparently he thought I was lining up for the Junior's race...damn these boyish good looks. Anyways, I backed into the start line to get front row like I always do, looking for a good position going into the holeshot.Got off to a good start, quickly encountering a set of two barriers and a volleyball pit. Picked up a few spots through the sand but, naturally, had trouble clipping in as I always seem to do with my Crank Bros. Candy pedals. After the race it was suggested that I switch over to the Egg Beater variety, so if anyone has extra's please let me know because I am quite the starving college student. Anyways, finally get clipped in after losing a few spots and we encounter a slightly tricky chicane with the first turn being off-camber. Got through that section without going down, a feat that I was quite pleased with due to the frosty conditions of our 10am start time. Continued to roll through the course until we get to my favorite part of 'cross: steep run-ups. Now many cyclists dread using their legs for running, but with my background it is a definite part of my strategy that I use on race-day.I picked up another spot on the run-up and now was sitting pretty around 3rd place going through the finish line for the first time. I moved up into second due to another rider's mechanical (dropped chain) and fought with the leader for about a lap until he finally got away from me. I partially blame this on my stupid pedals, but I have to give credit to Brian, he's for sure a strong racer.
The third lap went similiarly, albeit more lonely as I had 30 seconds in between the people in front and behind me. The last lap I took cautiously, knowing that I wasn't going to pick up any places, but I could very well lose some with an untimely crash. In the finishing straight I decided to give in to the race announcer's pleads and give it a sprint.I ended up in 2nd place, about 30 seconds behind the winner and 15 seconds ahead of third, a fairly comfortable margin.
I moved up three spots in the series standings to one point out of second place, sitting a steady third place. I still have 36 points to make up on first place, but with five races left I should have plenty of time to close the gap. Next race is the two-day Veterans Park race in Ann Arbor Halloween weekend which will include costume-required race for charity. Sounds like a great weekend to me! (L to R) Shawn Minard, Alex Mettler, Brian Wachlarz, Me, Shawn Schaffert

No comments:

Post a Comment